Tuesday 3 November 2015

The Self – Masculinity and Gender Bending


Gillette logo and slogan
I’m generally very frugal with my money and I tend to push my products to the limit. My razors are not exception to the rule. I have been using the same Gillette Pro-Glide razor for 2 ½ years and I’ve only replaced the blades once. Prior to disposing this razor, my skin was rather rough and damaged. Regardless, I am impressed with the durability of the product and Gillette is in my evoked set so I purchased a new Gillette Fusion Ball kit. I must say it has a very smooth shave and it looks sleek and cool with the stainless steel, dark grey and orange. Gillette is a very good example of a product geared towards masculinity and the male consumer. The companies’ slogan is “The best a man can get” which summarizes their market perfectly. I notice that many companies are starting to expand their portfolio to meet the needs of the male consumer. Even brands that is typically feminine in nature. Companies such as Dove and Clinique have launched a product lines for men. These product lines typically have dark grey colours and black shades on their products. It seems that darker colours are starting to associate with masculinity. I think that Clinique’s extension to male skincare products is a great example of a gender-bending product. I think that more gender bending products are becoming practical as metrosexual consumers are becoming more common in today’s marketplace. The term metrosexual came about in 1994 and it applies to men who live in an urban, post industrial and capitalist culture. Since 1994, I think the market segmentation of this demographic has increased significantly.
Clinique Mens product line

Dove for Men

No comments:

Post a Comment