Sunday 29 November 2015

McDonalds Reposition to Adapt Brand to Personality, Lifestyle and Values

As a young child, I remember once a week my family and I would splurge on the luxury of dinning out at McDonalds. The iconic Happy Meal always fascinated my sister and me and I think I was more motivated to go for the toy rather than the meal. The fast food giant has been a very good example of changing their brand to adapt to the needs of consumers of every culture.  McDonalds primarily motivates consumers on a basis of the Biological Needs theory meaning that every human needs food to survive. Even a basic theory such as Biological needs can become more complex as societal changes require an evolution in the Fast Food Industry.
McDonalds PlayLand as I remember as a Child

            As a young child, I related well towards the companies marketing tactics towards children. I remember it was a treat going to the McDonalds Play Land and having fun in the coloured ball pit and climbing though tubes and various obstacles. The McDonalds brand however as adapted well towards the changing needs of consumers and the pysopgrahic needs of multiple target markets. Recently, the company has been successful in their worldwide expansion efforts. They now serve India and even have adapted a menu towards the vegetarian demographic of the country. They even removed beef extract from their deep frying oil.

            Fast food generally meets the needs of those with a fast paced life style or those who require more of a convenience need. McDonalds has also been good at delivering a pricing strategy to meet a variety of income earners. In North America, they have a value picks menu with a large selection of items priced $1.89 allowing low-income earners such as students to use their product. In Asia, The Company has adopted a luxury model. In Japan, the McDonald’s operates a full service at the “Restaurant M” with an upscale menu.
New McDonalds design in Rotterdam 

            The Interior’s of most restaurants have also been given a facelift to reflect the new brand. Most restaurants have a crystal bed fireplace, Wi-Fi, and bar stools. The menu has also responded reasonably well towards social needs. The chain was a muse of much controversy when the documentary “Super Size Me” was released. While the nutritional value of fast food is still questionable, McDonalds has responded with new healthier alternatives to meet the needs of health conscious consumers.


            I don’t eat McDonalds every day but I am a huge fan of their McCafĂ© line. When I was working In Sault Ste. Marie ON last summer, they were a McDonalds across the street from my office. I loved being able to get a large coffee and a muffin for under $2 every day and sometimes two times daily. I also like the design of their McCafe cups. I find they keep my coffee warmer for longer and they also have a rewards sticker. I probably have over a dozen free beverages now. I used to have a Starbucks reward card but I loose those frequently and it’s hard to keep track of gift cards and reloading my card periodically. I like the tangible stickers you place on your rewards card. I’m old fashioned but it works well for me.
McDonalds ad responding to Green consumer movement with healthy menu items.














Sources:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/mcdonalds-high-end-tokyo-sit-pop/story?id=32592353

No comments:

Post a Comment